The GUN Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

home Forums – The GUN Forum Firearms 1911 question

• 1911 question

Jessica updated 11 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 9 Posts
  • Jessica

June 15, 2021 at 12:59 pm

So i am being stationed in lousiana in 9 months. Im currently stationed in new jersey and have also lived in new jersey all my life. Im excited to finally move to a state where is way easier to own firearms and also open carry legally. With a very easy process to concealed carry. I have been looking into 1911’s and due to the fact that i dont have 1000’s of dollars to drop on a gun, i have been looking at the rock island armory 1911 GI, and the Girsan MC1911 S. Bith in .45 ACP. My question is does anyone own these and what are you thoughts? Are they relieable? Durable? And how well can you carry them concealed? Ive been shooting my whole life but this will be my first time purchasing and handgun.

Edit: im starting to realize that the 1911 isnt a great concealed carry firearm. However are there any budget handguns that are good for concealed carry for people that love the aesthetic of the 1911? Or just give me your favorites. Im keeping a very open mind.

• danngree

Open carry is stupid. I open carry around the property, but there is zero advantage of open carry compared to concealed carry out in public.

• whyintheworldamihere

Of you’re on a budget, the 1911 is the wrong platform.

Polymer gns are half the price, and much less finicky, especially when you move towards 4″ and under barrels for concealed carry.

• Dpapa93

The RIA is the better gun although they use a proprietary dovetail for their sights which is kinda annoying if you want to upgrade. Mine was 100% reliable when I had it though. That being said, you’re going to hate your life trying to CC a full size 1911. They’re pretty big and pretty heavy, neither of which are traits you want for a concealed weapon.

• pestilence

Aesthetics should be the *absolute last* thing you consider when choosing a pistol nobody will ever see and that your life may depend on, FFS 🤦‍♂️

• Corey307

It’s a tool meant to save your god damn life. Looks don’t matter.

• medcomputerguy

For both budget and carry reasons, I am also going to jump on the anti-1911 bandwagon. There are both better and more affordable options that you should look at for such a tool, such as the Sig P365, or Glock 19 – lots of flexibility and options. However, if you are really set on a 1911 type pistol that’s more CCW friendly, look at the Springfield EMP3 or 4. While technically not a traditional 1911 (not a .45), they are more easily concealable and tend to be less ammo finicky. My EMP4 has been flawless and is fun to shoot, but I carry a P365.

I’ve heard good things about the RI’s 1911, but it is big hunk of metal. Ruger also makes a officer-sized 1911 – but you’ll pay $$$ for it.

• DeepSeaTX

“I have been looking into 1911’s and due to the fact that i dont have 1000’s of dollars to drop on a gun…”

*Error 404*

• AutoModerator

Post author: FetchTheZodiac. This comment is an attempt to control posts made by a new type of spam bot. If you are a human, you can ignore it.

*I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please [contact the moderators of this subreddit](/message/compose/?to=/r/guns) if you have any questions or concerns.*

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies
Reply to: Jessica
Your information:

Cancel
Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now