The GUN Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

home Forums – The GUN Forum Ammunition Reloading 308 Win cases won’t cycle in die

• 308 Win cases won’t cycle in die

james updated 11 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 15 Posts
  • james

June 15, 2021 at 12:35 am

308 Win cases won’t cycle in die

• ewarme

Looks like a belted case….

• deadOnHold

From your pictures, I can’t help but wonder if your die has a really sharp edge on the opening instead of a bit of an angle or radius (so it is shaving the brass instead of sizing it). Is this a ‘small base’ die?

If you take one of these pieces of brass before sizing, does it chamber in your rifle(s)?

• Revlimiter11

It’s just the new .308 win mag. Nothing to be concerned about

• TorchAnomaly

I’ve had this happen when firing out if my thompson center compass. Its a loose chamber. Your brass is expanding more than it should. You have three options here. 1. Sell your gun. 2. Get a die that steps down your cartridge a little first. I used a lee 45acp seating die that was just the right size. It comes out great. 3. Only use a neck sizing die and only use that brass in that gun (as it wont fit in anything else).

• diyhguy

I started a batch of 308 and ran into this problem on the cases that had been reloaded 2-3 times. Once fired brass cycled just fine. The sizing die was actually cutting into the base of the cases. Any clue what caused this?

• drowsyengineer

Double check you grabbed the right die.
    What is the source of the brass? Give it a rough check with calipers to make sure it’s the right stuff.
    Is it lubed?

Edit: saw OP post now. Not sure what’s up. All fired from the same chamber/gun?

• fourdooradventures

You may have a chamber cut on the high side of tolerance

• mauitrailguy

Do you have a fresh (unfired but sized, or virgin) piece of brass? See if the die has the same effect maybe. Die could be out of tolerance, brass is old, or gun is way high on tolerances.

• 101stjetmech

Classic sign of lube failure.

The only way metal gets smeared (galling) like that is by direct metal-to-metal contact. High pressure lubes prevent that when applied liberally and correctly. That applies to any tubing forming operation.

• Rightmeow09

I had gotten a bag of 300 win mag that did this. Ended up with a double belted case 🤦🏻‍♂️ They were fired out of a gun that was either out of spec or had really high tolerances. See if they will even chamber before sizing, I couldn’t even close the bolt on mine and just tossed them all

• Your_Rapist_Uncle

What lube?

• Jbrass413

Any pressure signs. The case opens when fired check the diameter and compair to another case. Do they come out hard?

• Secretweapon77

Its just a case expansion through time. Next time just use more case lube in the bottom area of the casing. (ONE SHOT CASE LUBE) will do the job.

• pepperonihotdog

Belted 308? Try cleaning your die. Brake cleaner or however you clean brass.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 15 replies
Reply to: james
Your information:

Cancel
Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now