The GUN Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• 350 legend

Posted by james on June 23, 2022 at 10:21 pm

So I’m just starting reloading 350 legend, a relatively new cartridge and have a few questions about bullet selection. When the round first came out it was touted as using .357 dia bullets, but Winchester has since changed to claim it uses .355 dia bullets. So I checked with my barrel maker and they stated my barrel dia is .356, so what bullet dia should I use? I understand that there are specific .350 legend projectiles, but would like cheaper range ammo.

james replied 1 week, 2 days ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • BLANK_1911

June 23, 2022 at 10:21 pm

From what I understand, the .357 claim was for a couple states that had .357 listed on the laws for deer. The bullet was always a .355 bullet. Personally I like 9mm 147gr XTPs. Though I have had cycling issues with the flat front. Currently loading 170gr hornady interlocks at .355

Again, not guaranteeing my information is correct, just what I heard and act on myself.

Edit: as to your range ammo. You can honestly put any 9mm jacketed bullet in there.

• ClarenceWagner

.357 projectiles are fine, if the brass isn’t too thick. (I believe .011 or less, if my memory is correct). You do not want to use the .35 caliber (.358) rifle projectiles as a general rule. Plunk test a bunch of to all of them, don’t over crimp.

• shootmo73

If it were me, I’d stick with .357 and take notes of powder charge, velocity, and watch closely for pressure signs. If your data is in the sam ballpark as book data (won’t be the same) then you’ll know you made the correct choice.

• RyanAS522

Go for it man. I’ve forced 32 cal bullets down a 30 cal barrel before.

• williaty

This is the next caliber I’m going to start working up and projectiles are a mess for it.

RemindMe! 1 week

• Installtanstafl

My advice is to slug your bore. Particularly if you are thinking of plinking with cast bullets, this is going to be the only way to know for sure what you need.

• TheOtherGuy666

The main reason there are special 350 legend bullets is the bullet construction will be different. 9mm bullets aren’t built to stay intact on impact at the velocities that 350 legend has. This is only really an issue for hunting/self defense.

For plinking the 9mm fmjs will be fine even though they are bigger. Just watch for pressure signs as you work up a load.

my father built an upper for hunting in MI and he has had nothing but issues with reloading and shooting, though he cheaped out on a barrel. Reloading with the winchester brass had a lot of loose primer pockets, he’s had pressure issues (especially with Lil gun) and solid coppers, terrible accuracy, and it doesn’t really drop deer like is 12 ga with hornady slugs did.

As always YMMV

Reply to: james
Cancel
Your information:

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now