The GUN Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

home Forums – The GUN Forum Firearms Rifles AR15 Building a 11.5 300 blkout. First build. Need advice

• Building a 11.5 300 blkout. First build. Need advice

ThatsABigHit updated 1 week, 6 days ago 2 Members · 2 Posts
  • ThatsABigHit

May 14, 2022 at 5:17 am

I have a question. I’m an AK guy. So my question is I want to build a home defense rifle with use of a suppressor.

So reliable…. but budget friendly.

Ok to get to my question. Which part of the AR platform is something I need to put the most money towards? I know FORSURE the barrel… But what about the CH, BCG? And forsure I know I want a nice trigger… is that all I should put money in to make it as reliable as say a DD or higher end rifle? Thank you

• hamoodie052612

My first suggestion is to switch from 11.5 to like, 8.5-9 👀

• SixPointTwoLiter

You can buy a $100-$150 phosphate bcg from DD, BCM, Microbest, SOLGW, or PSA’S FoF that’s as good as any bcg you’ll ever use. Don’t overthink it.

You can also get a great LaRue MBT-2S trigger for $120.

Push money into a barrel, suppressor, and ammo. And a nice Ambi lower if you’re feeling a little gucci

• ArmchairStrategist

Barrel and bolt. My best advice for bang for buck and simplicity is to get a reputable upper (BCM, DD) and buy a complete or stripped aero lower and build that out.

• ColdasJones

Go for a 9” barrel 1:7 twist, get a toolcraft or microbest bcg, some kind of suppressor optimized charging handle (raptor SD is cool, consider a side charger with a sealed CH area to reduce gas in the face), and get some Maker REX or Lehigh max expansion loads. A subsonic suppressed shorty that will create the most devastating wound channel and expansion out there, and not overpenetrate into walls and your family. Can’t get better than that

• Hulkenboss

Definitely get a good barrel, KAK and BCM make good 9-inchers that I’ve used. Good mags help too, Magpul makes 300 specific mags as do a few other companies. The rest is up to you as it’s the same as building 5.56. Use what works for ya.

• ColdasJones

Oh and buy Lancer L5AWM 300blk mags, you’ll thank me later

• Proper-Hour9390

I have a 8 in barrel that I think is a great length

• pretend-to-give-a

Stop. Build a 7.62×39 AR. Buy subsonic ammo and share your stockpile (and possibly magazines). 300blk is aNn overpriced scam.

Spend money on a decent barrel and make sure the BCG has been magnetic testing (MPI), otherwise just make sure everything is at least mil spec and you will be fine.

• [deleted]

[deleted]

• Jlw1974

Get a 8.5-9.5″ 300blk upper from Bear Creek Arsenal. When you get it, put on a seekins adjustable gas block and be done with it. Bonus that they have both Rear and Side Charging versions, so choose whatever. Get designated 300blk mags and have fun.

If you plan on running a can on it, you will want to keep it above 8″ in length to be covered under most cans warranty. Better said yet, use a 9mm or 45cal can. I prefer the YHM R9.

I prefer a 1x and 4MOA Red Dot for that configuration. 3x (with 2MOA RD) will be ok, but for HD, 1x is PLENTY.

Have Fun.

Viewing 1 - 11 of 11 replies
Reply to: ThatsABigHit
Your information:

Cancel
Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now