The GUN Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

home Forums – The GUN Forum Firearms Century C308

• Century C308

Jessica updated 11 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 15 Posts
  • Jessica

June 13, 2021 at 11:22 pm

What is the general thoughts on the Century C308?

I’m looking to get a G3 or Fal type rife that’s decent but affordable as 308 is currently one of the cheapest more affordable rounds currently. What kinda issues does it have if any , or what would be a better choice for a similar price range?

• farmdawg13

PTR 91 is the better choice. Century can be iffy with their quality control.

• birdonaline

They ruined those parts kits buddy. look elsewhere get a PTR

• BobbyWasabiMk2

As someone who has owned a C308, do not get it. Most C308s lack the paddle mag release, forcing you to use that awkwardly placed button release on the right side. That button release is fucking difficult to reach even for bigger hands. The C308 comes with a rear two notch flip sights that also are nothing like the HK diopter sight that makes it an iconic HK. The QC also sucks too, the first C308 I picked up had a fucked charging handle and I thought cleaning it would fix it, but nope, it had to be sent back to Century.

If you want a G3 get a PTR91, it’s far better and worth the money completely. I too thought I could live with the cheaper features on a C308 because it was affordable but nope, it fucking sucks.

• aclark210

Ptr would be better for the G3 clones, dsa does fal clones that are decent. Not great, but decent. And some aren’t even that expensive

• RLTmavrick

I have owned every “cheap” version of a G3 rifle in the past. What I have learned is it’s PTR or HK. You have a small chance at getting a good one from anyone else. But a PTR is 1200-1500 I think and a Century is 600-800. Buy once and cry once on this one my dude. Unless you have a horse shoe hidden deep in a less traveled location

• ardesofmiche

50/50 shot of getting a good one. If you get a bad one, it’s really bad. They ground down the bolt head on some of the rifles to headspace them

• Helpful_Ad_9446

Everyone’s out here talking mad shit but I love my C308, never had an issue with it

• BlindSpider11

Just a heads up, the C308 is essentially a clone of the Spanish CETME Modelo C, which was the predecessor to the G3. Notable differences between the CETME C and the G3 are the rear sights (notch style vs diopter), different bayonet interface (lug vs socket), and finally mags *look* different between the two but *are* interchangeable.

Also to note, is on the C308 they lack the paddle magazine release. So you have to remove your firing grip to press the magazine release on the right side of the firearm. If you have a long enough index finger your can probably reach it without completely removing your grip, but it will still feel awkward. Meanwhile the PTR 91 has a paddle magazine release with all current models.

Finally, the C308 uses surplus parts from the aforementioned CETME Modelo C. This is a major reason in their lower price. The cocking assembly, bolt carrier, bolt, locking piece, rollers, and all of the trigger pack are surplus. So there is a bit of luck when it comes to getting parts (you never know how many times that BCG was reciprocated). Interestingly there are rumors that at one point during the C308s production, they were grinding down the bolt faces on some bolts in order for them to have the correct headspace.

• HomerPimpson304

My c308 is great. Zero issues. It is the older ones that have issues because century goofed them up. Don’t listen to the armchair dudes who haven’t shot them. I’ve owned both. Sold the ptr because the c308 was actually more reliable and could also take a bayonet without sourcing hk parts.

• sink009

The C308’s can be good, but if you’re not hand picking your rifle from a batch of 20-30, I would steal clear (like others have already said).

• kefefs

My brother had one, it ran fine but the brake they install at the factory is incredibly obnoxious. It’s effective, but god help anyone standing near you. I fired it at an indoor range and everyone else stopped shooting and stepped away from the firing line until I was done. :/

That said, quality control is iffy. Just because that one worked alright doesn’t mean they all will. If you do get a Century it’ll likely be fine but you *may* have a problem with out of spec rollers though that’s easy enough to fix. PTR is more expensive but has much more consistent quality and odds are you won’t need to tweak it out of the box.

• TheNumeralSystem

I actually picked one up a couple months ago from a local pawn shop. It’s an older one without the rail and a different muzzle device than the chevron style. Runs like a dream and not a single malfunction…yet.

• Wraccores

You can get a Pinto that may have more reliability than other Pintos. Same thing with C308, mine doesn’t have a ground down bolt, shitty charging handle, or half-assed weld piccitany rail; but that doesn’t mean all C308s are like that.

I would buy the PTR if I were to choose again

• iamnickallen

Century sucks

Viewing 1 - 15 of 15 replies
Reply to: Jessica
Your information:

Cancel
Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now