The GUN Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

home Forums – The GUN Forum Firearms Couple of weirdos born in the Rifle Factory Ishapore. Left is a 1966 Ishapore 2A1 “Tanker” Right is a 1966 Ishapore 2A1 “Jungle Carbine”. Both are chambered in 7.62 nato. Not sure what year these guys were cut down but I’m fairly positive both were modified and resold by Navy Arms in the 80’s.

• Couple of weirdos born in the Rifle Factory Ishapore. Left is a 1966 Ishapore 2A1 “Tanker” Right is a 1966 Ishapore 2A1 “Jungle Carbine”. Both are chambered in 7.62 nato. Not sure what year these guys were cut down but I’m fairly positive both were modified and resold by Navy Arms in the 80’s.

Logan updated 1 year ago 2 Members · 7 Posts
  • Logan

May 19, 2021 at 7:12 am

Couple of weirdos born in the Rifle Factory Ishapore. Left is a 1966 Ishapore 2A1 “Tanker” Right is a 1966 Ishapore 2A1 “Jungle Carbine”. Both are chambered in 7.62 nato. Not sure what year these guys were cut down but I’m fairly positive both were modified and resold by Navy Arms in the 80’s.

• Jitterygravy869

May 19, 2021 at 7:13 am

Gun lovers of this sub, can you please educate me? Is it still possible to use a bayonet with the right one? Muzzle looks to be too big to fit it properly.

• robdestructo

Two modified Ishapore 2A1 rifles in 7.62 NATO. Both were originally built in the Rifle Factory Ishapore in 1966, then modified most likely by Navy Arms for resale in the US market. Left is the “Tanker” modification. Right is the “Jungle Carbine” modification. Most of these “cut downs” were surplus rifles with heavy barrel wear near the muzzle and were cut down to salvage the rifles and make them more attractive to US buyers.

• Alaskan_EDC

The “Jungle Carbine”s I always saw for sale had the black synthetic furniture and were sub $500. I wish I had picked one up back when they were plentiful, but I can also remember Garand tankers in .308 being cheap and plentiful and nobody wanted old surplus rifles at that time.

Nice looking rifles you’ve got there. They appear to be of a better quality then the examples I have held.

• Panzerschwein45

Very nice antique rifles. Are they still safe to shoot?

• Caedus_Vao

I always keep an eye out for nice examples of these for my collection. While not “legitimate” Enfield variants, they’re a pretty high-quality conversion done by an importer in droves back when surplus could be bought with whatever two coins you could rub together, and they’re an interesting part of the story.

Very nice, OP.

• HCE_Replacement_Bot

Hello, /u/robdestructo. Per the sidebar rules, link posts require a description in the comments of your post. Please add a description or this post will be removed.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies
Reply to: Logan
Your information:

Cancel
Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now