The GUN Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

home Forums – The GUN Forum Ammunition Reloading Has anyone used a lee .309 dia, 200 grain mold for 300 blk?

• Has anyone used a lee .309 dia, 200 grain mold for 300 blk?

Posted by james on June 24, 2022 at 4:28 am

Basically the title, I have this mold and I cast a few bullets, but I haven’t been able to find where to seat the bullet in order for it to chamber on my AR. If someone has some OAL length data or tips, I’d appreciate it. This is my first time casting bullets for a rifle caliber

james replied 1 week, 4 days ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • B_Huij

June 24, 2022 at 4:28 am

I’ve had a hard time even getting a reasonable seating depth with the Lee 150gr .309 of essentially identical design. I think these bullets are just too fat towards the nose to work well in the BLK.

Have had excellent success with the 230gr mold from Lee for .300 BLK subs though.

• Cerebration247

Highly recommended for reloading cast bullets.

300 Blackout Ammunition Gauge

• coriolis7

Do you have a Lee FCD or any other type of crimp die?

Load a dummy round using a fired case at 2.260”. Use *just* enough crimp so the bullet won’t slide in or out on its own, but can still be pushing in with little more than finger pressure.

Push the dummy round into the chamber and slowly close the bolt until it locks into place, then slowly retract the bolt and measure the dummy round’s OAL. That is the absolute longest you can load and not jam into the lands or throat.

I’ve not had any luck with cast bullets in 300 Blackout, mostly due to the rifle’s tight throat. I have to size the bullet down pretty far to fit the throat, and even then I sometimes get interference.

Reply to: james
Cancel
Your information:

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now