The GUN Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

home Forums – The GUN Forum Firearms Rifles I’m saving for a precision build and I’m looking for recommendations for great glass that can make shooting past 1000 not impossible. budget isn’t too big of an issue since I’m saving.

• I’m saving for a precision build and I’m looking for recommendations for great glass that can make shooting past 1000 not impossible. budget isn’t too big of an issue since I’m saving.

Neville updated 1 year ago 2 Members · 5 Posts
  • Neville

May 18, 2021 at 8:10 pm

I’m saving for a precision build and I’m looking for recommendations for great glass that can make shooting past 1000 not impossible. budget isn’t too big of an issue since I’m saving.

• HollywoodSX

You don’t need crazy expensive optics to go out past 1k yards. The 2018 King of Two Miles was won with a Bushnell XRS2 4.5-30×50 optic that retailed for $1700. The same scope was used to take second in 2019. I’ve got top 10 PRS finishes with the same optic, and my teammates have a pile of them.

• jakaalhide

I see a lot of guys at matches trading Nightforce for ZCO. That being said, there are a lot of scopes under $1200 that won’t hold you back from hits past 1k. If you’re paying more than $1k, you’re usually paying for less Chromatic Aberration, or maybe better FOV, or Depth of Field, or reticle design, or durability, or clickier turrets, or differing zero stop settings, or ergos, higher % edge to edge clarity and enhanced sweet spot, etc.

If one of those features is of critical importance to you, there will usually be one scope that will do it better than the rest, for that feature. If you don’t know what some of those are, go with a scope you can afford and be grateful you haven’t become enough of a snob to call a $3k scope trash because it tunnels at 5x, or picks up chromatic aberration above 20x, or seems “gray” instead of RGB colorful, etc.

• MySideGoodUrSideBad

Nightforce ATACR line is great.

Anything by Kahles, Leica, Steiner, Schmidt and Bender etc.

Basically if the price tag is way up there its likely a top notch optic.

• Vagitarian-Diet

Leupold Mark 5HD’s.. limited on mount options because of 35mm tube but a lighter option if that matters to you. $1900-ish, Mil or Moa, FFP which is nice for dummies like me trying to make corrections when not at max magnification.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies
Reply to: Neville
Your information:

Cancel
Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now