The GUN Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

home Forums – The GUN Forum Firearms In principle, would it be possible to design some kind of muzzle brake or nozzle which would reduce net recoil by 100%

• In principle, would it be possible to design some kind of muzzle brake or nozzle which would reduce net recoil by 100%

Jessica updated 1 year ago 2 Members · 12 Posts
  • Jessica

May 18, 2021 at 2:59 pm

And what cartridges would it be possible for. I saw that a GSh-30-1 cannon, a 30mm autocannon that fires 1800 rounds a minute, is only 47 kg without ammunition. Impressively light for something that can put 12 kg/s of shells downrange and is gas-operated, so I was thinking “what kind of insane thing could this be mounted on that’s smaller than a fighter jet?”

The problem is it makes more than a literal metric tonne of recoil when fired fully automatically. So basically, is there some kind of large “backward facing rocket nozzle” type muzzle brake or something that could reduce that recoil to something manageable for a vehicle that doesn’t weigh several metric tonnes? Like, is there enough gas moving fast enough that you could get the net recoil down to zero? I am not trying to eliminate vibration or noise, only net recoil. I’m aware that this can be done in a recoilless rifle style design but that doesn’t really work with something like that and reduces muzzle velocity significantly. I’m looking for something that can eliminate net impulse that goes on the end of the barrel.

• Hi_ThisIsEngineering

No. All real processes involve losses in some way.

3 laws of thermodynamics:

1. You can’t win.
    2. You can’t get even.
    3. Everyone has to play.

• Puzzleheaded_Nerve

You can eliminate muzzle rise but not recoil.

• autosear

The projectiles in those firearms gain their velocity via pressure against the interior of the barrel and breech face. A muzzle device can redirect gases after the projectile exits the barrel, but at that point there’s already been considerable force applied to the breech face. So no, you can’t use a muzzle device to eliminate recoil.

A recoilless rifle counteracts recoil by venting gas through its rear, rather than allowing all of that energy to be transferred through a breech face. The downside is that it sacrifices velocity and creates a hazard to the rear of the firearm.

• m855-556

Recoilless rifles are a thing, but that’s as close as u can get

• whk1992

Recoilless rifle.

• ardesofmiche

Some rifles also have reciprocating mass that has to go rearward for function. Try as you might with muzzle brakes, An AK bolt carrier is still going to cause recoil when it cycles

• dabisnit

While there is always recoil, you can do a big ass brake, AN94 pully system, and a perfectly weighed and sprung and gassed AR buffer system so that the BCG doesn’t bottom out at the end of the buffer tube

• Eirikur_da_Czech

No not with a muzzle brake.

• Eirikur_da_Czech

The only way to eliminate felt recoil is with a recoil mitigation system like in some Russian rifles and in that new Knights light machine gun. Literally a weight that moves forward to counteract the bolt moving backwards.

• chupacabrapr

Maybe with a 50lb muzzle device

• DontTakeMyNoise

Kinda

Viewing 1 - 12 of 12 replies
Reply to: Jessica
Your information:

Cancel
Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018