The GUN Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

home Forums – The GUN Forum Firearms Rifles Lightweight & rugged variable optic for out to 500 yards?

• Lightweight & rugged variable optic for out to 500 yards?

Neville updated 1 year ago 2 Members · 5 Posts
  • Neville

May 19, 2021 at 1:27 pm

Hey all,

This doesn’t quite qualify as “long range” but I know you guys can help me here. I’m fairly new to precision bolt guns. I’m planning some sort of remington 700 footprint build with a 16″ or 18″ barrel that’s lightweight and rugged for hunting and one that works well at the range as well. I really want something that is 1x-xX but could be persuaded otherwise. Weight is super important in my decision here.

Really the only thing on my radar thus far is the nightforce NX8 1-8, but I’m not sure if that is going to get me to the distances I want to. Anyone have any opinions on how far I can stretch the NX8? Are there some other optics I should look at? I know there are a ton of other options out there, but none that I know of thus far that come in near the NX8 in terms of weight and magnification.

• mr_solodolo1_

500 yards should be pretty easy with that nightforce. Vortex razer offers 1-10x that’s going to be your greatest level of magnification with 1x capability

• chamilton1909

I’ve taken my razor 1-6 out to 450 without issue, I think you’d be fine with a NF 1-8.

• ccd111975

US optics has a TS12X. I just got one for my.308 ar pistol but have not had a chance to fire it yet. Seems pretty good from looking through it across the back yard.

• wydothat

I would try a leupold 2-8x or fixed 6×42 which both weigh like 12oz and have long standing and exceptional histories as mountain rifle scopes that are praised for their durability and clarity for under 500$

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies
Reply to: Neville
Your information:

Cancel
Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now