The GUN Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

home Forums – The GUN Forum Fishing Kayak Fishing Lite Tackle vs Tarpon 120

• Lite Tackle vs Tarpon 120

Charles updated 11 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 4 Posts
  • Charles

June 13, 2021 at 12:53 pm

I have been looking for a new fishing kayak for a while. Specifically I’ve heard great things about the Crescent Lite Tackle. The only kayak I’ve ever gone any real distance in is a tarpon 120. Can anyone who has been in both kinda make some comparisons, things each did better. I’m not able to demo so I just wanted to make sure I would like the yak before I went and bought it. Thanks in advance.

• kursah

The LT moves great on the water for its size, it tracks great, glides great, I’m able to cruise at a good speed for miles. I paddle rivers, ponds and lakes with mine, and love it. Coming into season 3 I still enjoy it as much as the first time I hit the water back in Summer 2019. I enjoy the exercise yet its stable enough I can stand and paddle or fish, the hull storage is amazing and I always use it, the tank well is huge enough to fit my cooler, fishing crate and trash I pick up wherever I go. Trying to leave places in better shape than I find them.

I spent some time learning good paddle technique and that made a big difference before I got my LT (was in a Perception Sound 10.5 prior).

The LT’s hull design allows it to be more nimble than its size would normally dictate for a fishing kayak. And as your skills grow, what you can do with this yak will grow.

I have no experience with the Tarpon 120. But WS makes great yaks and gear, so I’m sure its worth a look.

I love the open deck of the LT, I love how simple it is to rig up for fishing, hunting, camping, or strip down to a bare yak ready for a recreational day with the wife and kids, let the kids use it as a floating dock or whatever the day may bring.

The rockered hull is useful for maneuverability and going over waves and rapids. I’ve taken this yak through some solid class II, maybe even light class III and it handled them like a champ. I’m able to do some river surfing, which many 12′ fishing kayaks may not be able to do, I can paddle upstream on medium speed currents.

I think it really depends on what you want and what your priorities for a kayak are. I was in the same situation as you, unable to demo any of the yaks I wanted to purchase. I narrowed down to the Moken 12.5 and Lite Tackle, ultimately I chose the LT as I wanted simple, clean and great paddling. And that’s what I got. But it can also haul 450lb, it has ample storage, it has a comfortable seat, it has a clean open deck, it has rails for accessories, it has mighty mounts, it looks clean and awesome (IMHO), and that hull design isn’t a gimmick.

Now while its fast for a 12′ fishing/recreational kayak, its not a touring kayak or anything close, those will leave me behind. But I’ve paddled with guys in Bonafide SS120’s, Pelicans, Vibe YF’s, etc. and I was usually at the front of the pack, and with my good paddle technique, usually less tired and more ready to fish when we got to our destination on still water, and had lots of fun in moving water.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

• flyguy_mi

Check out Headwaters Lite Tackle video’s… https://headwaterskayak.com/video-library/

• michaelb5000

I don’t have either boat (I have a kaku wahoo 12.5 and a tarpon 105 though), but the crescent LT looks like a great all around boat. The primary difference is that the LT is for standing and fishing, which is a game changer. The tarpon at 31″ wide is not really for standing, and is more of a hybrid rec boat design, so not really an ocean open water boat, but going to paddle faster and farther then the average slow fat heavy fishing kayak (it should be faster than the LT).

Other nice open deck fishing kayaks to check out along the lines of the LT are the Jackson Bite or Yupik or Kaku’s wahoos (in 10 or 12.5). I think the wahoo is more of an open water boat for waves, the jackson’s look like flat water, and the LT may be in between in terms of hull shape.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies
Reply to: Charles
Your information:

Cancel
Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now