The GUN Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

home Forums – The GUN Forum Ammunition Reloading Loading berrys 115g plated rn in picked up range brass. Only every now and then I get one that won’t fit the chamber gauge. Full sized, expanded, and little to no crimp after loading. Is this a big deal? I notice certain brands of brass in particular won’t fit all the way.

• Loading berrys 115g plated rn in picked up range brass. Only every now and then I get one that won’t fit the chamber gauge. Full sized, expanded, and little to no crimp after loading. Is this a big deal? I notice certain brands of brass in particular won’t fit all the way.

james updated 11 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 16 Posts
  • james

June 14, 2021 at 1:12 am

Loading berrys 115g plated rn in picked up range brass. Only every now and then I get one that won’t fit the chamber gauge. Full sized, expanded, and little to no crimp after loading. Is this a big deal? I notice certain brands of brass in particular won’t fit all the way.

• dogtrpp

I ran into this a lot until I started using the Lee factory crimp die.

• Jicand

My barrel is my case gauge, if it doesn’t plunk then crimp better

• hungryfatcats

Do a plunk test in the barrel of the gun itll be shooting out of. Have a few 9mm that does this and drop it into my Glock 19 to if it fits and chambers correctly.

• Fuckyoucommies1

Have you tried crimping a little more? I know 9mm usually requires some crimp. That’s what fixed mine the first couple I did.

• mikeD707

Did you measure the case lengths?

• dutchman195

Thats why you gage it. Toss it in the practice bin and move on.

• khsrider500

I wanna get one the lee factory crimp dies. I’ll keep an eye out

• sixnb

I have this same issue, random range brass, 115g plated rn, and certain types of brass don’t fit in the gauge consistently, using dillon die set with a decent crimp. They do however plunk test in the chamber, so I’ve always just rolled with it.

• bludotsmokr

I ran into this with range brass. I got me a Lee 9mm Undersize sizing die. It’s about .003″ under your standard dies. I have not had the problem since. I also use a taper crimp, not much, just enough to put a little neck tension on the bullet.

• SonOfAWildAss1962

Loading 45acp I found one of a hundred Berry .451 were .452. A real mess

• EMDReloader

It may also be the base (above the rim). Common problem with 9mm. If you’re not concerned with 25- ad 50-yard bullseye accuracy, consider a Lee Undersized 9mm die. They’re available .002-.003″ under from a number of sellers, and .001″ under from EGW.

• khsrider500

18 of 48 wouldn’t completely sit in the gauge lol just finished them up

• smike61

It probably needs to be ran through a bulge buster

• sarthree

Different brass will act differently…and you may need to screw down your sizer a little more, and sometimes there is a burr on the case head and it won’t go down all the way…start there with those

Viewing 1 - 15 of 16 replies
Reply to: james
Your information:

Cancel
Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now