The GUN Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

home Forums – The GUN Forum Firearms Rifles New Remington 700. Detachable mag kits?

• New Remington 700. Detachable mag kits?

Neville updated 11 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 5 Posts
  • Neville

June 14, 2021 at 2:43 pm

I just picked up a Remington 700 Varmint Synthetic (.308) for a great price. First thing I want to do is put a detachable magazine kit on it, since the bridged scope rail does get in the way a bit.

Any experience with polymer vs metal kits? I’d love to get an HS Precision kit, just wondering if the extra $250 over a Legacy ammo boost kit is worth it at all.

• HollywoodSX

It depends on your stock, and what kind of magazines you want. I’d strongly suggest sticking with anything that uses AICS magazines, but I am not aware of a drop in magazine kit* for R700s and factory stocks that use AICS mags. Typically, you’re going to be opening up the bottom of the stock to make the bottom metal fit, and some stocks this is 100% NOT worth the headache.

The exception to that (and the asterisk earlier) is the Magpul Hunter stocks for R700, as Magpul makes a drop in kit for the Hunter that takes AICS mags – both the Magpul poly mags and other brands of steel or polymer mags.

If your rifle didn’t come in a Magpul stock (I think they only came with the magazine kit installed, though) you could also consider upgrading the stock that came with your 700 to a stock or chassis already set up for AICS mags.

• lswins

Both conversion kits work. Get what you want.

• Brufar_308

I went with the [PT&G](https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/home/19933-detachable-mag-bottom-metal-kits-with-magazine.html) bottom metal for my R700. for the difference in price you may be able to get your HS Precision stock inletted and be using AICS mags from the start while spending the same amount or less. Also the magpul AICS Mags are far less expensive than those HS Precision mags.

just a thought.

• Levelseventy

I’m going to second going for an AICS kit. Most gunsmiths can do a bottom metal inlet for $100 or so, and the aics pattern is more or less standard at this point (for dbms, anyways).

The HS precision bottom metal is really slick. Well made, sturdy lock up, no inletting required on a bdl stock, but the mags and the bottom metal are fairly pricey and with it being a proprietary system, who knows how long HS will make them.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies
Reply to: Neville
Your information:

Cancel
Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now