The GUN Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

home Forums – The GUN Forum Firearms Not exactly sure how to proceed – My P365XL just returned from the factory for a SECOND TIME after consistent ‘Failure To Extract’ and it’s STILL giving me the same issue…. with customer service indicating they won’t go much further with me. How would you react?

• Not exactly sure how to proceed – My P365XL just returned from the factory for a SECOND TIME after consistent ‘Failure To Extract’ and it’s STILL giving me the same issue…. with customer service indicating they won’t go much further with me. How would you react?

Posted by Jessica on November 9, 2021 at 3:17 am

TL;DR: Stock P365XL giving me consistent ‘failure to extract’ over multiple ammo manufacturers and grains. I sent it to SIG and they assured me there was nothing wrong with it. It kept happening in front of my range safety officers (ruling out grip) with different ammo, so I sent it in a SECOND time and they replaced the extractor, extractor spring, trigger bar and a few other firing mechanisms. Upon receiving it, it happened AGAIN (12x in 500 rounds) with different mags and different grains. What would you do at this point?

—— Hey guys thanks for reading this message. I have been posting about my issue on other forums so I am going to copy and paste my process through this issue and want your take on it. This is quite a long read but the TL;DR at the top should take care of it. Thanks for your attention

Post #1:
    Hello,

I own a P365XL and love it, I have a holster system that works for it and I won’t carry any other gun. Ever since I bought the gun, I am having issues with the rounds having a “failure to extract”. And in case I am saying the improper term, what I mean is that after the gun goes bang – the empty casing stays in the barrel and I have to dislodge the magazine and re-rack the slide a bit to get that empty casing out of the barrel.

The ammunition I use at the range is either Aguila 124 grain or Blazer 115 grain. Also I clean the hell out of it after every session at the range. Also because it’s my carry gun, I have every part in the gun to be stock (except for a holosun optic).

Ever since I bought the gun, I have had issues with FTE. When I first bought the gun, I chalked it up to the fact that it’s a new gun and needs to be broken in. I’ve fired maybe 1,000 rounds out of it. It consistently gives me a FTE at least once every 100 rounds.

Initially, I sent it to my gunsmith to take a look at it -and he found there was nothing apparently wrong with it. Then I decided to send it to Sig. They fired 30 rounds out of it and inspected it and sent it back and said there was nothing mechanically wrong with it. So I was a bit relieved – and I thought it was user error: I was probably riding the slide with my thumb and it was causing the FTE to happen. I made a conscious decision to pay extremely close attention to my grip to see if it made a difference. Some of my friends who are firearms instructors and enthusiasts commented that they’ve never had issues with a gun locking up like that because of their grip, and one of them owns a P365XL and quipped that he “rides the slide hard as hell and never had a problem once”.

I shot about 4 boxes over 2 weeks with no problems and so I was happy as a clam about it. Last night I attended a ‘training’ class where essentially its one of my good friends who works at the range (and is a firearm instructor) and a few other friends and we all shoot together and go out for a drink. In my first box of ammo, I had a FTE. It bothered the hell out of me, but maybe I was not holding the gun properly. So I re-adjusted my grip, made QUADRUPLE SURE my thumb was NOWHERE NEAR THE SLIDE and I was gripping the hell out of the gun and continued. The FTE happened 2 more times. So that was 3 times the gun had failure to eject the round in 2 boxes (100 rounds). Thats 3% failure rate which in my opinion for something I am relying my life on: totally unacceptable.

So this morning I called Sig and I asked to speak to a supervisor and they put me in touch with ‘Adam’ who was a nice enough fellow given the circumstances. He essentially told me that it’s the ammunition thats causing me problems. When I told him that Aguila and Blazer were reputable companies and not remanufactured rounds or anything like that, he brushed it off and said he’s seen issues with every manufacturer.

In my opinion, the Sig P365XL is a top tier gun and should be able to chew threw anything you put in it – let alone 2nd tier professional bullet manufacturers.

He pretty much told me my only recourse is to send it in (AGAIN!) and they will fire 100 rounds out of it and take a close inspection. I told him “what happens when you look at it and you find nothing wrong? Then I have to buy a new gun??” and he told me that if they look at the gun and find nothing is wrong with it – then I will continue to have issues even if I buy another gun because it’s the ammo thats the problem.

I have friends who work at the shooting range and who shoot their P365XL every day for months and months and have NEVER had an issue – but my gun locks up every time I go to the range with it. And I’m supposed to rely my life on it. He commented that my carry ammo is different than my shooting range ammo, and that I should try to see if I get the same issues with my carry ammo…but he acknowledged that cost and availability makes this a very hard task.

>>> After making that post, I got some assorted feedback so I made the following response

Post #2:
    Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and for your attention to commenting your responses – I really appreciate it. Since I made the original posts, I called my local gunshop (who I’ve become fast friends with) and told them about my issue with the P365XL. They asked me to come on in. So I grabbed like 5 boxes of ammo and headed to the range. When I got there, the range security officer, the building manager and an employee all got involved. They said they were a little bored and were happy to help me. They told me that they’ve never had issues with their P365XL, whether it’s the range rental or the one that the manager personally carried – they’ve never had one failure with theirs. So essentially they watched me shoot and said my grip was perfect. I was using Aguila 124grain and on round number 89 it AGAIN had a failure to extract. This caused me a big relief honestly because I knew it wasn’t my fault (I was holding the gun correctly according to the 3 professionals who were standing right next to me), and I was using Aguila which isn’t remanufactured ammunition.

This is a premium handgun by a premium manufacturer designed for every day carry. “Adam” (Sig Lead Customer Service Rep) told me that “If I’m experiencing 3 failures out of 100 rounds, than a 3% failure rate isn’t unacceptable) and I extremely disagree. I truly hope that SIG and their team can make this right. Like others in the thread suggested, I do think that in the event they take the gun apart and fire it and don’t find anything wrong with it – they SHOULD replace the extractor and the extractor spring for my peace of mind. I truly love my P365XL, my holster system and lifestyle setup for the gun and I don’t want to use any other gun – and it would be a huge tragedy if I am forced to purchase another one because mine is obviously defected.

I gave the gun to my gunshop to send to SIG today (10/25/2021). When I get the tracking information for the outgoing package, I will re-email “Adam” at SIG letting him know that I’ve been experiencing continued issues that were witnessed by my gunshop and I expect for them to take another look at it. Nevermind that they were supposed to take a good look at it the FIRST time, I don’t know why I’m wasting more time and money shooting rounds to try and diagnose a problem that they needed to fix the first time. If I do not receive satisfactory customer service (replacing the extractor and spring at a minimum) I am going to be extremely pissed and let you guys know

>>>>>So I sent in the gun and just got it back yesterday and here was my findings:

Post #3:
    Hi everyone! I have an update – and I wish it was a positive one.

SIG sent back my gun and they said that they replaced the extractor, extractor spring, trigger bar, and a few other mechanisms. They said they test fired it with 80 rounds (40 rounds of 2 types of ammo) with no problems.

Happy as a clam, I grabbed 500 rounds of ammo and headed to the range to test it out. I was testing 300 rounds of Aguila 115gr and 200 rounds of Aguila 124 gr. Keep in mind I recently bought a new CZ P-10F which ate 500 rounds of the exact same ammo from the exact same purchase with 0 issues.

With the range safety officer standing right behind me, and with my grip strong and sure (and my thumb not touching the slide AT ALL), I started shooting.

Bullet #67 had a failure to extract. Dissapointed, I said “it MUST be the magazine” and switched it out for another one.

My gun had 12 failure to extract over the 500 rounds. I had 2 failures to extract in a single mag happen once with EACH MAGAZINE. I had failures with both types of ammo.

My gunrange is flabbergasted. Theyve literally never even heard of this happening with ANY remotely modern handgun. All my gun eccentric friends are confused and upset for me. I simply don’t know what to do at this point. Ive sent it back to SIG TWICE now and they replaced alot of different parts the second time and the issue is still greatly persisting.

This isnt remanufactured janky ammo, Aguila is made in Remington factories in Mexico.

Today I am going to the range with 400 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass 115. If it gives me a single hiccup, I will call Adam at SIG tomorrow morning and will explain the issue. I will not be satisfied unless i receive a full refund or replacement. I am sadly actively looking for alternatives to my P365XL as we speak. Ive spent more money and time than the gun is worth on ammunition and trips to the range to repeatedly prove to SIG that my handgun is not reliable as advertised and its making me extremely upset to say the least. I shouldnt have to say “im getting constant failures to extract from 3 types of bullets from 2 well known manufacturers” for SIG to say that they sold me a lemon and to give me a refund or a new gun.

P365XL is supposed to be a top quality line from a top quality manufacturer and this is just absolutely unnacceptable and im extremely unsatisfied to say the least. I wish i had better news for you guys, i just want a reliable carry pistol and i shouldnt have to fight SIG this hard and spend so much money and time to get one.

Will keep you all updated, but its probably going to end with SIG telling me its not their problem and me having to change my carry style and holster system because they are giving me a lemon gun with unsatisfactory customer service

Jessica replied 10 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • udmh-nto

November 9, 2021 at 3:18 am

> I won’t carry any other gun

You won’t like my recommendation then.

• nxsgrendel

So the case is staying stuck in the chamber

Take a slow-mo video on your phone. That should show if the extractor is just letting go of the case (leaving it in the barrel) or it actually extracting the case but not ejecting.

~~Do you have any picture of the head of a case? The early P365’s had issues with striker drag. Supposedly that issue was fixed some time ago and the P365XL was supposed to free from this issue~~ disregard this.

Does the inside of the chamber feel rough/have a lot of tool marks?

How does the ejector look?

Has this been an issue from the get go?

Maybe rent a 9mm headspace gauge.

Edited my response because I’m a retard who lacks reading skills

• 2Girls1Kalash

How would I react? I would buy a Glock.

• dirty_waffles

Maybe I missed it, has anybody else with you tried to re-create this issue? If it’s not the firearm and it’s not the ammo, the last variable would be the operator. You may not be riding the slide but there might be something else you may be doing that could cause this.

• lancep423

If it has to have a manual safety get a hellcat or a shield

• Ace74u

Get rid of it. Reliability is king. Manual safety might lead to some unforeseen issues.

• gdmfsobtc

You got a lemon. Sucks, but it happens. Ask me how I know.

• LocalHost7812

Buy a Glock

• SC_Vanguard

Had a similar issue with the Sig factory.

Bought a MPX for the wife awhile back and took it to the range to run it a bit. Halfway through the 3rd mag the rifle fired, ejected the casing, chambered a new round and upon squeezing the trigger….. nothing. After cycling the safety from fire to safe and back to fire it shot, ejected the casing, chambered a new round, squeeze the trigger and…… nothing. Cycle the safety and rinse and repeat. Tried different ammo, different mags and had the same issue.

Sent it back to Sig, they said it’s fine and functioning properly. Within an hour of getting it back I was back at the range and half a mag in, it was having the exact same issue again.

Sent sig the videos of before and after their shop looked at it along with the letter they sent back, gave them a sincere fuck you, changed out everything from the barrel to the trigger to the stock, the only thing left that’s sig is the receiver housing, and its run perfectly ever since.

I won’t ever own a Sig after going through all that with them. My wife and I are both competitive shooters, with extensive firearms backgrounds so it definitely wasn’t operator error, multiple factory mags were used, along with 4 types of quality commercial ammo and 2 versions of our own competition reloads so it wasn’t the ammo. The only thing left to rule out is the overpriced POS gun.

TL:DR Fuck Sig and their factory “repairs”/”gunsmiths”. Buy FN, or Glock, or CZ, hell even Springfield

• ThurstonLast

Just sell it. Should of bought a Glock or hk. Then this would have never happened.

• Rescue_Dragon

If you’re married to the idea of a manual safety, you have two options. A) get over it /get educated, then buy a glock, FN 509, or similar, or B) buy a more reliable gun with a manual safety; fn. 45 tactical, cz, M&P, ect.

Also consider a gun with a grip safety, such as the Springfield xDM.

• pickled–onion

Video it happening and sent it in to sig.

• fcatstaples

Sell the gun. Buy something else.

• awdangman

If the movies have taught me anything, this is the part where you throw the gun at the bad guy.

• hs4579

Springfield Hellcat w manual safety is very close and I like it more than the p365xl (and I’m usually a Springfield hater)

Page 1 of 2
Reply to: Jessica
Cancel
Your information:

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now