The GUN Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

home Forums – The GUN Forum Firearms Rifles Opinions on Howa HCR 1500 vs Tikka T3X in terms of accuracy, reliability, long range effectiveness etc

• Opinions on Howa HCR 1500 vs Tikka T3X in terms of accuracy, reliability, long range effectiveness etc

Neville updated 11 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 5 Posts
  • Neville

June 12, 2021 at 10:03 pm

Opinions on Howa HCR 1500 vs Tikka T3X in terms of accuracy, reliability, long range effectiveness etc

• ablnx

I’ve got a Tikka and a couple Howas and they are all reliable, reasonably accurate with the factory barrels, and in a suitable chambering will do you just fine for long range shooting.

However, the Tikka is definitely smoother and has a slightly better trigger. If I had to keep just one, I’d keep the Tikka. If you can find one for a reasonable price, or if you’re not absolutely squeezed on the budget, I’d go for the T3X. It also has slightly better aftermarket support, though the Howa is not too bad. One advantage of the Howas is being able to get a barreled action from Brownells and drop it straight into a chassis of your choosing. Beretta won’t sell the Tikka as a barreled action, but if you can only find a Lite, you can recoup a few bucks selling off the factory stock, etc. What you buy right now might be dictated by what you can find.

• gmoney11mks

I recently picked up the hcr. So far I’m impressed with it. I’ve only taken it out to 600, but it is fairly consistent.

It’s a sub moa rifle all day if I do my part. The trigger may leave a little to be desired, but there are upgrade options for that. I have a spring kit in the mail, stock pull is around 3.5-4#.

Mine seems to love the lighter bullets, 123,130 and 135. But still shoots 140 and 153 well.

• Trollygag

Which T3X? Tikka doesn’t make a direct competitor with the HCR. They make the hybrid hunting rifle CTR and they make the much more expensive and side folding TAC A1. Apples to apples the TAC A1 is 70% more expensive – not too far off twice the price.

The HCR is more of a direct competitor to rifles like the Ruger Precision Rifle and Bergara BMP.

Howa makes good rifles.

• patrickkrebs

The trigger and action are so tight and specific on the Tikka.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies
Reply to: Neville
Your information:

Cancel
Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now