The GUN Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

home Forums – The GUN Forum Ammunition Reloading Reloading 577-450 Martini Henry

• Reloading 577-450 Martini Henry

james updated 11 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 3 Posts
  • james

June 11, 2021 at 10:22 pm

So I’m slowly acquiring the necessary materials to reload for my Martini Henry MKIV and looking for some advice on the bullet itself. I was planning on doing a grease groove type cast bullet instead of the straight wall paper patch type. Would simply pan lubing the bullet be enough or is something like the lubamatic from RCBS a must have? Or does the grease cookie solve this? I know Eric from IV8888 recommends using the lubamatic. I’m not new to reloading by no means but this type of reloading is certainly a green area for me. I still haven’t slugged the barrel yet as I hear some say it’s not necessary because they say a British made rifle is guaranteed to be a .468 bore and others say slugging is a must. Thanks for any advice

• Ericbc7

Slugging isn’t very difficult and can answer a lot of questions. Good luck!
    There are a lot of lubing and sizing options these days. You could powder coat then size the bullets for the best combination of performance vs mess

• Robert_A_Bouie

I’d suggest slugging your bore, but if it’s a Mark IV it should be .468. The problem with slugging the Martini Henry bore is that it has an odd number of grooves so getting an “exact” diameter involves a bit of guess work. As long as you use a soft alloy (1:20 or softer) you should be okay with using a bullet that is a couple of thousandth’s undersize.

Personally I use bullets cast with a mold made by RCBS which I believe was made just for Martini Henry rifles. They drop at .468 and come out at about 520 grains with 1:25 alloy.

You can pan lube or use a lube sizer. Pan lubing is cheaper but messier.

If you’re going to be using a grease grooved bullet then a grease cookie really isn’t necessary.

The British Army used paper-patched bullets so if you want to be as realistic as possible you’ll need to buy or cast those and patch them. I’ve tried it and it’s not hard to do but it’s boring.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies
Reply to: james
Your information:

Cancel
Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now