The GUN Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

home Forums – The GUN Forum Firearms Shotguns Remington 870 Sportsman vs Benelli Nova vs Mossberg 500

• Remington 870 Sportsman vs Benelli Nova vs Mossberg 500

Nicolina updated 11 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 6 Posts
  • Nicolina

June 15, 2021 at 9:19 am

Hey guys, I’m looking to buy my first hunting shotgun and I am hesitating between these three. Anyone has some input to help me choose?

Thanks in advance!

• RE_riggs

Go shoulder each one and see which ones feels the best. They are all comparable to each other and fine shotguns.

• The49thJudge2

I personally own a Mossberg, love it, would never get rid of it. However, you should totally try each of them out, see how they feel, check for good prices and make your decision based off of what you find.

• S1de8urnz

I own all three: here is my take on them.

Its a new Remington 870 express. Doesnt like short brass shells. Often have to mortar rack the slide with cheapo shells. Pumps fine with high brass shells. No other complaints. Weight and feel is nice. Its the only shotgun that I own that Ive shot a perfect score with. The ejection port is sharp and its not finished nice. Cheapest shotgun i bought.

My Mossberg 835 is a newer model. Lightest shotgun of the group. Its also the longest barrel which makes the swing nice, but a bit of a pain in the duck blind. This is my hunting back-up. I shoot clays once or twice a year with it but pretty much sits in a case in the truck all year. Only issue i had is the pump handle is super slippery when wet. I put on skateboard tape and problem fixed. No issues with short brass, maybe the dual extractors helps with this.

Benelli super Nova. Easily the heaviest of the pump shotguns. Fit and feel is good. Has a useless feature where you push a button and pump it, it ejects the chambered round but does not load a new one so you can drop a different shell in If you wanted to switch ammo types on the go. Ive Never used this feature, But maybe someone else needs this. I like the benelli but its noticeably heavier. It is also finished the best of the other two. Rounded edges, thicker barrel, fit and feel is the best as well.

If I could only pick one, id keep the mossberg 835. But i am a duck hunter first, clay buster second, ranch work third. The mossberg is lightweight and easy to carry around when your lunking decoys and other shit.

Hope this helps.

• Brian_Si

You should be able to find multiple reviews for each model online.

• finnbee2

Shotgun fit is everything. I had/have an 870, 500, Beretta 390, and Browning Citori. Many times I’d allow new Shotgun buyers to come to my house and shoot them all. It was usually obvious what gun they should buy.

As others have suggested the 870, 500 and Nova are all good guns. I’d also add the Browning bps to your list. It is more expensive than the others but might fit you better.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies
Reply to: Nicolina
Your information:

Cancel
Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now