The GUN Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

home Forums – The GUN Forum Firearms Steel case .223

• Steel case .223

Logan updated 11 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 8 Posts
  • Logan

June 13, 2021 at 12:57 am

I’ve heard that .223 steel case is damaging for AR-15s and I’ve heard that the damage they cause is over-exaggerated. What are all of your opinions?

I’d love to use steel .223 for plinking since it’s so much cheaper but if it’s significantly more damaging than brass I don’t think it’d be worth it.

• ENclip

The bimetal bullet (usually used in steel case ammo) can wear your rifling faster than normal with non-bimetal projectiles and the steel case is tougher on your extractor. Of course it takes many thousands upon thousands of rounds for it to even come into play. Most people don’t shoot enough to wear out a barrel. And if you have to replace a barrel or extractor you’ll have saved more than enough money by not shooting brass to replace them. That’s basically the “long term” trade offs.

Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo – An Epic Torture Test

• Caedus_Vao

Like the other guys said, in terms of cost-savings, by the time you wear out your barrel or extractor you’ll have saved so much money on ammo that you can probably just go buy a new rifle. The savings on steel case ammo is real.

Of course, I wouldn’t shoot high-end precision matches with it. The stuff is good for plinking, practice, and when you’re doing a lot of shooting at close range, like an introductory carbine course.

• uni_gunner

The money you save shooting steel will buy you two barrels. The amount of wear is not significant between the two.

The biggest factor in barrel life is keeping the barrel from getting too hot between strings of fire.

• Iggins01

Rifle is fine

• danngree

I’ve heard that sour candy is sour and the sourness is over-exaggerated. What is your opinion?

• ij70

either you have moneyz for brass cased ammo or you don’t. which one are you?

i buy russian guns, i shoot russian steel cased ammo.

• flannelmaster9

My ar has went through like 5-7k rounds of wolf steel cased ammo, with typical issues

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies
Reply to: Logan
Your information:

Cancel
Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now