The GUN Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

home Forums – The GUN Forum Firearms USA- Army changing caliber- price on 223 / 5.56 – Impact on the civil market

• USA- Army changing caliber- price on 223 / 5.56 – Impact on the civil market

maxpayne07 updated 1 week, 5 days ago 2 Members · 2 Posts
  • maxpayne07

May 14, 2022 at 12:27 pm

Hi.

I don’t understand anything of economy, or market, just a farmer on Europe.

So…

USA Army is changing Caliber.

Actually y own ak-103, and a Benelli semi auto shotgun, all with hunting licence.

I as hopping to buy an AR-15 on next 2 months, because 223 rem ammo, i can buy a box of 100 Top Shot for 70 euros…i know for you guys maybe still expensive but its the best i can get in EU, and the best deal i can get in EU…. 308 is very expensive, 7.62×39 since the start of the war literally disappear and the rest , the price is sky high

IF the USA Army change is caliber, what kind of effect will have on price? Go up or down?

• N0Name117

May 14, 2022 at 12:28 pm

223 isn’t going anywhere for a very long time. Beyond this, the US military hasn’t committed to the new cartridge in any real capacity yet and there’s a fair chance they won’t. At one point, the m14 and 308 were going to be the next big thing and we should all remember how poorly that went.

• Pew_762

Considering how much 5.56/.223 are still used by other police and military forces worldwide I don’t see much of a change coming. Plus the vast majority of .223/5.56 is that is commercially available was made specifically for the civilian market and is not surplus. Because of this I don’t see any changes in price occurring that aren’t directly related to market factors that change the price of all ammunition. After all, .30-06 enjoyed it’s highest level of civilian popularity after the U.S. Military abandoned the round for 7.62 NATO.

• Agammamon

1. This is going to be a decade-long switchover – nothing’s going to change in the near future.

2. This new gun and round is not intended for general use. There’s still gonna be plenty of 5.56 in use in the Army. And let’s not forget the USAF, USMC, USN, and USCG – along with the bajillion federal and state law enforcement agencies across the country are still going to be using 5.56.

• _8w7_

They aren’t going to be changing any time soon. When it gets tested by a Ranger battalion, it’ll get scrapped just like the FN SCAR did.

The extra weight and ammo reduction will be a concern and it will fail miserably during close quarters testing.

• priest2705

With the proliferation of AR pattern firearms out there, I can’t see civilian owners being affected in any way. Companies know that most AR owners aren’t going to change calibers just because the Army adopea new cartridge.
    And I can’t imagine humping the bush with the new rifle. Hell, doing it with an M-16/ M4 was enough of a pain. And then there’s the fact that more ammo is always better. Being able to bring more ammo to a firefight is always an advantage. I understand about stopping power, to a point. And I know from personal experience that you don’t always hit where you want. But, I’d be surprised if most operators think that this is a good idea. I’d rather have 30 rounds of 5.56 than 20 of 6.8

• slothlikesamwise

Down then slowly creep up, as it concerns USAians.

For you depends on domestic manufacture and import law.

• venusblue38

I strongly doubt that we’re are going to see wide scale replacement, probably more than like… The xm8, but it’ll be the same as the SCAR or something. They’ll have them, probably just won’t get used a lot.

Even if they do, it’s going to take decades to be fully in service. They’ll have to make millions of them for training, replacement, parts and issue.

• Opinions_ArseHoles

First and foremost, the USA has a very large number of AR-15 firearms owned by private citizens. It’s in the millions, my guess is about 20 million. And, it still sells very well. You illustrate the point of new purchasers quite well.

It took years for the U.S. to replace the M14. NATO didn’t adopt it until much later. I expect the AR-15 platform to be around for several decades from now. The 30-06 round is still used. It’s 116 years old.

Sig probably owns the patents on the specialized 6.8 round. That means other manufacturers will have to pay Sig a royalty. Patents in the US last 20 years. As far as I know, only 1 other manufacturer was producing the 6.8 round for the Army – True Velocity. It will take manufacturers about a year, perhaps longer, to gear up to create the 6.8 in volume.

A quick Google search showed 223 rounds at $60 per 100 rounds. Your cost in dollars is about 73 cents per round versus 60 cents in the US. I used a 1.04 conversion rate – Euros to Dollars.

When the time is right and the price is right, buy the firearm. You will definitely enjoy it for years to come.

A joke from the software industry comes to mind.

The programmer was asked to fix all the bugs in the currently released software.

The reply, “Yes. I can do that, but what about our current installed base of customers?”

Candidly, I may not have the joke 100% correct. The point is simple. Change is difficult and hard.

• BussyAficionado

He thinks consumer prices are controlled by something other than price gouging.

• tamuzbel

My 2 cents. If the army actually changes caliber .223 / 556 will go the same way 30-06, .303 British, and .45/70 went. While the military used them you could get surplus ammo relatively cheaply and it was easy to find. Now you will have a hard time finding those calibers in any real quantity. By that I mean you wont go to 2a warehouse and buy 1,000 rds of .30-06 for $500. I did find a 1,000 rd case of .303 for sale BUT it is corrosive and Berdan primed so forget reloading that crap.

.223 would likely be relegated to the varmint hunting niche.

• LordRotter

It took the army YEARS to even decide on a rifle, it’ll probably take them a long while to actually implement it. On top of that I don’t think the other services have officially adopted the Spear yet, so that’ll take time as well. Finally once all services have adopted the Spear first the infantry units will get them, then the other combat arms units, then the admin units, then years from now the reserve units will get them. It’s 2022 and there are still tons of Marines with M4s and even M16s.

So, will the cost go up eventually? Probably, but it’s not going to spike overnight unless other situations occur (ex. another 2020).

Viewing 1 - 12 of 12 replies
Reply to: maxpayne07
Your information:

Cancel
Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now